Saturday, August 23, 2008

Why?

Why? That's the question my wife asked me the other day as I told her about this blog I'm starting. Actually, that wasn't the only question she asked. She also wanted to know how I was going to find the time to make regular entries. "What are you going to give up in order to have time to do this?"

Hmmm....I had not thought of that. Do I need to give something up to have a blog? Can't I just squeeze this into every other part of my life: busy parish ministry, two teenagers in high school, household tasks, board meetings at the hospital, watching the Red Sox and tracking the Cubs via the Internet, etc., etc.

Well, I'm not prepared to answer the question about what I'm giving up to give myself time to do this. For now, I'll just focus on the "why" question.

The most straightforward response has to do with my participation in a Doctor of Ministry program at Seabury-Western Theological Seminary. I need to write a thesis and, to some extent, this blog is a part of that work (or, perhaps it is more accurate to say that this blog is a result of that work). My thesis will explore how one congregation can create a "commons," a gathering place that is open to anyone seeking God in community, through the intentional practice of hospitality. Is it possible in a post-modern society to create a commons that will allow a diverse people to gather freely for the exchange of ideas, stories, faith, and relationship? What will result when we try? I hope this blog will be a part of this new commons, a virtual gathering place, so to speak.

Beyond the thesis, I'm looking for a way to explore the impact of the changes in church and society as well as the changes in the way the church interacts with society. In the early 21st century we stand at a complex series of intersections: the intersections of modern and post-modern, of spirituality and secularism, of community responsibility and individual choice, of traditional church and emerging church (just to name a few). The choices we make as we work our way through these intersections and live in this 21st century village will be vitally important for the future to which God calls us.


I've been told not to write long posts (a challenge for me; I find it very difficult to be succinct!). Since this is probably already too long, let me this finish with this. Raised Southern Baptist, I've been an Episcopalian for 21 years and a parish priest for 16 years. I believe this is a very exciting time to be a person of faith, to be one who seeks the love and grace of God with a community of fellow seekers.

I invite you to join me on the quest and to participate by posting your thoughts. Perhaps we can begin to create that commons right here (wherever "here" may be).





No comments: